Tuesday, November 13, 2012

California!

Hey loves!

I don't have much time left. I'm trying to figure out this whole e-mail thing. But yes, I'm loving that you're all e-mailing me now! Dear elder was nice when I could read them everyday...but I can't do that anymore. Here's how the mail here works:

The mail is picked up by our District Leaders on Wednesday, delivered to us Friday morning, and we can open in on Monday (prep day--morning or afternoon depending on when our Visitors' Center shift is).  We may be allowed to open packages on Friday when we get the mail IF and only IF it is marked that there are perishable or urgent items inside (like unto baked goods, some vital document, etc.). At first, I liked the idea of not being able to open any of our mail except for Preparation Day...but I'll admit, it's been difficult. Especially because the boxes I sent myself from the MTC did not arrive by the Wednesday deadline. It's not a HUGE deal, but I was slightly disappointed to not have some of those things right away.  But anyway, just so you know...that's the system. Mark stuff if it's perishable or urgent, and try to send it so it gets here by Tuesday so I can get it by the following Monday. 

Oh, and p.s.  

I'M IN CALIFORNIA.

Wanna know how I know? 

Well, you see, I'm sitting at a computer in the back room of one of the most beautiful buildings I've ever been in--next to my companion/trainer, Sister Olivo (from the Dominican Republic and has lived in NY for the last 8 years--so she totally has that phenomenal NY/Dominican accent going on. She goes home at the end of this transfer...which, in mission/life-analogy terms, means that I, her baby, am "killing" her...confused? Me too.).  

But really, If I were to look outside, I'd see a HUGE white building with the angel Moroni on top--in front of a classically California backdrop.  Think sky scrapers and palm trees all around. I love this place. I knew I did and I knew I would. But really, Los Angeles is something else.  She and I are currently serving (english-speaking) in MALIBU. Yup. MALIBU. Like, home of the rich and famous.  Like, Adam Sandler lives in my ward boundaries. Yeah. If you can believe that.  It's gorgeous.  I have yet to spend a lot of time there as the last few days have been a LOT of meetings and training and adjusting...but what I've seen, I love.  And there's a LOT of work to do. Which, in my big-eyed, dreamy, fresh-from-the-MTC state of being, is FABULOUS. Please note all of the all-capped words...because that's how I'm talking right now.  And by talking, I mean typing and thinking and feeling.

I'm at that point where there is literally more to share than I have the capacity to organize in my mind. I wasn't very prepared for you this week. I'm doing that kind of learning that can only be done by living. I haven't quite identified all of the adjustment processes I'm going through, but all of them involve a lot of balancing. Which, of course, is great for me. And I know that I'm where I'm supposed to be. I can admit that I have questioned that in very brief moments--moments when I questioned my own ability to "fit" here and to be all that I have been trained to be over the course of my life and my MTC experience...but overall, I have accepted my place here as the exact place and time that the Lord needs me. 

I testify to you today of the prophet of God. I know that Thomas S. Monson has been called of God and I sustain him as the prophet, seer, and revelator of our day. He holds the keys and the ability to guide us and interpret the will of God for us today--right NOW.  I testify that Heavenly Father called me here through Thomas S. Monson. I testify of the Atonement's enabling power to change us as we do His work.  This is not my mission, but His. I've got to remember that.

I love you all dearly and LOVED the e-mails. I so hope I get a chance to respond individually today. You're all in my prayers, and I so appreciate yours. 

Love,

Sister Wells

P.S. Send me your home addresses, please. 

No comments: