Monday, November 5, 2012

DTR with the MTC


I had a DTR* with my MTC relationship last night and here's where I'm at:
 
The twitterpation and CRAZY excitement has worn off, and now I'm entering into that more intimate, deep sort of love--you know that kind that can be a little painful sometimes, but somehow heals itself in a deeper, stronger way? It's scary b/c I haven't ever really been at this point in my spirituality before, but I'm loving it.  I am aware that I am being changed by doctrine, which is supposedly the best way to change. Overwhelming, but in the most faithful and hopeful way.
 
Brother Allen came and spoke with us earlier this week, and he told us that our excitement as missionaries often gets in the way of the vitally important doctrines and blessings of missionary work. Something I have thought about a lot, and something those of you considering a mission should also think about.
 
In terms of where I'm literally at in my MTC training, I started Visitors' Center training on Wednesday. It has BLOWN AWAY my expectations. I have been blessed with incredibly powerful teachers here, but I have never been taught this intensely before. Ay ay ay. I am learning in the deepest way how a visitors' center missionary fulfills their purpose as a missionary--in other words, inviting people to Christ through His doctrine--in a Visitors' Center setting.  It's obviously a different dynamic than normal proselyting, but I am learning how equally rewarding it can and will be as I continue to study and prepare myself.  My concept of Visitors' Centers has been blown out of my mind in the best way--and I hope you challenge your own concept of Visitors' Centers as well. It is a place where you can find strength and answers if you treat it as such, and I encourage all of you to do so.
 
I have a testimony of companionships. I miss my elders dearly and I miss spending more time with Hermana Dopp and Eberle, but I am loving what there is to be learned for the other VC*** sisters. I'm in another trio, which is sort of hilarious, but again, a wonderful learning experience. My companions' names are Hermana Nordhagen (from Sandy) and Hermana Real (from Barcelona! Accent and all!).  They're spectacular. That's all I have time to say, which is unfortunate.
 
I also have a testimony of the Book of Mormon. Not only is it an incredibly, beautifully true book with really fascinating stories, but it is and has been the center of my testimony and knowledge of--and relationship with--Jesus Christ as my loving Savior and Redeemer.  I suppose I have always known that on some level, but it has come to light more fully since being here for obvious reasons. I imagine missions have a tendency to do that sort of thing :)
 
Well, I have 30 seconds left. This letter is shorter b/c I was less prepared for it, but I want you all to know how loved you are by myself and your Heavenly Father.
 
Love ya lots! Work the faith!
 
Abbs
Hermana Wells
 
 
*DTR: Determine/Discuss the Relationship. I prefer the latter D word. Similar to a Companionship Inventory, in which both parties discuss the progress of the relationship and how it can be bettered. It's generally a time to express love and concern in the form of constructive goal-setting. I like DTRs a lot...As many of you know...
 
**Missionary Training Center in Provo, UT
***Visitors' Center

No comments: