Monday, October 29, 2012

THE NEWS, Funny, and Magic


Everyone!
 
So many happenings everyday! Where to begin? I will only share the most exciting and basic, and even then, I must place limits.
 
First of all, let's talk about THE NEWS, shall we? And by "THE NEWS," I am of course referring to the announcement that 18-yr-old boys and 19-yr-old girls can become 18 and 19-year-old MISSIONARIES. Do you even realize how exciting it is to be a missionary right now??? I haven't talked about this before with ya'll, but we talk about it all of the time here--for obvious reasons.  Richard Heaton, one of the MTC administrators, (and my roomie, Audrey's, unce), spoke at a devotional a few weeks back and explained that starting in mid-Feb, most of us will be TRAINING for the remainder of our missions.  I don't know if that's going to be 100% the case for me, but the point is:  we will be at the forefront of this movement of missionaries--leaders in the beginning of the days of  "hastening the Lord's work". I feel SO blessed to be in this place at this time with these people.  It's been and up-and-down road getting here, as many of you know, but I know I am exactly where I belong.  This thought was magnified after reading my patriarchal blessing the other day.  How could I have EVER questioned that a mission was right for me??? Ah! I just love this.  I'm already sort of sad that it's going to end in just 17-ish short months, and I'm determined to make the most of it.
 
On this note, I wanted to congratulate all of you (in a blanketed sort of way) who have decided to go on missions! I'm SO EXCITED for you! For those of you still deciding/considering, maintain the knowledge that this is just an option. Entonces, if you're a 19-yr-old girl and have the opportunity but don't feel like you want or need it or like it's maybe not the right time for you...don't feel pressure. Just a disclaimer.  For those of you going, whether or not your MTC arrival date is in the near future, you best be preparing with all of you mighty heart.  With the shortened time in the MTC, you'll no longer have time to "figure it out" once you get here.  You have to be better prepared than I was two weeks ago.  That being said, here's my humble, 2-weeks-in-the-MTC advice for ya:
 
1. STUDY PREACH MY GOSPEL LIKE THE ETERNAL FATE OF THE WORLD DEPENDS ON IT. Because it basically does. But really, it's completely inspired and wonderful.  It will bless your life in and out of the mission. (Aka read it even if you're not on a mission!)  Be familiar with all the of chapters, doctrines, principles, etc. Study, memorize, and strive to understand your purpose as a missionary and as a disciple of Christ. 
 
2. Study the Book of Mormon. For obvious reasons.  Know it and love it to a point that you a bursting with the desire and ability to share it with the entire world.
 
3. Practice teaching and sharing the doctrines and principles of the Gospel. (Take mission prep classes and opportunities seriously)
 
4. Be aware of what you're commiting to, and then COMMIT.  Gain a testimony of obedience now so you don't waste a minute of those 18-24 precious months of the Lord's time.
 
...And...that's all. Hope it didn't sound self-righteous. I know I've only been here a few weeks. I'm definitely no expert, but I can promise that in doing at least some of these things, the MTC experience will be more effective for you. Don't stress, but definitely take your preparations seriously.
 
And onto my normal letter:
 
This Sunday was a beautiful day. Autumn wins in all things. We heard a devotional from Bro and Sis Roach, who actually presented the devotional together, as a couple.  It was super cute and super powerful all at once--definitely one of those head-tilting-Aw,-I-so-want-to-do-that-with-my-husband-someday sort of moments for all of us hermanas. Right after the devo, we went a watched a video of an MTC Devotional given by Elder Bednar about how to recognize revelation. It changed my life.  The jist of it:  Quit worrying about it! Be a good boy. Be a good girl. Move forward with faith. We won't always know when the spirit is guiding us in the moment that it's guiding us. But it IS guiding us. And that's all that matters. ...Yeah, I needed that.  Gotta love Elder Bednar.
 
So, now onto funny and magical things...
 
Funny: 
 
One one of my first few days here, I definitely ran into a pole. And I say "definitely" because there is absolutely NO DENYING that I ran into that thing.  We're talkin' full-body, forehead-to-chest-to stomach-to legs contact with a very metal pole. My limbs went a-sprawling to either side of it, and there was a plentitud of witnesses to testify the fact--including my 2 elders who like to bring it every 2 seconds. ...yeah...I'm going to be a great missionary.
 
Also Funny: 
 
Sunday morn began with a 6:15am firedrill...except that it was a less of a "drill" and more of a dustmite that got into the alarm system...which meant that we had to spend an hour or so sprawled around the big gym area, which was all set up for church that day, which meant that there was a piano accessible, which meant that all of us super-righteous sister missionaries began to sing hymns in the midst of this little 6:30am emergency situation.  My companions and I escaped to the back room where the gen authorities hang out before devotionals.  They slept on the floor in the corner while ALISSE FRANDSEN (who was also against the concept of pre-7am hymn-singing) and I giggled on a coach nearby. So, while I didn't get a desperately-needed shower that day (p.s. I'm going to be buying dry-shampoo someday soon. Great stuff, I hear), the whole ordeal turned out to be a tender mercy and a beautiful experience with my dear roommate who I won't get to see for a very long time after November 7th (which, fyi, is when I leave the MTC for LA). We also go to see the stars.  Which was nice.
 
Magic:
 
FIRST SNOW!!! Ah! My companeras and I gave ourselves a Lorelai Gilmore moment of joyous splendor upon its arrival here. 'Twas beautiful.  And then I forced my elders to go outside with me and take  pictures in it later that day. Hopefuly someday I'll learn how to attach pics to this thing.
 
So...that's all of everything.  I love you people tremendously. Thanks for the love, support, sacrifice, and prayers.  I feel bolstered and lifted by them everyday. Remember that Heavenly Father loves you and is blessing you everyday. You're in mis oraciones y mi corazon.
 
Love ya'll,
 
Hermana Wells

No comments: