Sunday, October 7, 2012

The Call

I have wanted to serve a mission for as long as I can remember.  In fact, I distinctly remember at the age of 6-ish telling my older sister's friend, Lindsey, that a mission was what I wanted to do "when I grew up."  I didn't understand then that being a missionary is not a career, but part of your identity as a disciple of Jesus Christ.  Whether or not I am a full-time volunteer missionary, I should be striving to live my beliefs and my Faith in such a way that I am inviting others to Christ on a daily basis by loving word and/or example.

That being said, the idea of a full-time mission has been in the back of my mind for a very long time. I knew that I would need to prayerfully consider it when the appropriate time came.  About a year ago, I began to realize that I had arrived at the "appropriate time." I prayerfully began to prepare for and plan on leaving on a mission when I reached the then-designated age of 21 in July 2012.  Other opportunities presented themselves (an internship in Mexico this past summer and other research and job opportunities for the coming Fall), and I decided to postpone my mission until December.  But THEN...the April 2012 General Conference happened. And I realized I couldn't wait.  So, I started and submitted my papers in a matter of 3 weeks (which is pretty fast for those of you who don't know) before I left for my internship in Mexico.

Getting the call proved another complicated challenge. But lo and behold, it came to my possession sometime in late May at the Hotel Flamingo in Irapuato, MX (easily one of my favorite and most significant places in Mexico).

That's it. And me. Smiling.  Really big. 

I joyfully opened it next to the hotel pool.  It said something like this:

May 1, 2012

Dear Sister Wells,

You are hereby called to serve as a missionary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  You are assigned to labor in the California Los Angeles Mission. In addition to your calling to share the gospel, you will be assigned to serve in the Los Angeles Visitors' Center.  It is anticipated that you will serve for a period of 18 months.

You should report to Provo Missionary Training Center on Wednesday, August 29th, 2012. While at the Missionary Training Center, you will receive special training in conducting tours.  You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Spanish language. Your assignment may be modified according to the needs of the mission president. 


The LA Temple in all its glorious beauty. Apparently it's HUGE. I can't wait to see it!
You have been recommended as one worthy to represent the Lord as a minister of the restored gospel.  You will be an official representative of the Church.  As such, you will be expected to maintain the highest standards of conduct and appearance by keeping the commandments, living mission rules, and following the counsel of your visitors' center director and your mission president.  As you devote your time and attention to serving the Lord, leaving behind all other personal affairs, the Lord will bless you with the increased knowledge and testimony of the Restoration and of the truths of the gospel of Jesus Christ.  

Your purpose will be to invite others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored gospel through faith in Jesus Christ and His Atonement., repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end.  As you serve with all your heart, might, and strength, the Lord will lead you to those who are prepared to be baptized.

The Lord will reward you for the goodness of your life.  Greater blessings and more happiness than you have yet experienced await you as you humbly and prayerfully serve the Lord in this labor of love among His children.  We place our confidence in you and pray that the Lord will help you become an effective missionary.

You will be set apart as a missionary by your stake president.  Please send your written acceptance promptly, endorsed by your bishop.

Sincerely,

Thomas S. Monson, 
President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

I have since returned from Mexico, and ended up postponing my MTC report date by 6 weeks so that I could have sufficient time to finish my internship research report and prepare for my mission mentally, financially, and emotionally.  This has also proved to be a complicated process, but now...it's HERE. I report to the MTC in 3 days' time, and I could not be more excited. 

I want to take a second to thank all of you for making this possible. My parents, siblings, church leaders, teachers, and friends have lifted me and taught me through word, example, and sacrifice over the course of my life. Thank you for teaching me what it means to be a disciple of Christ, and for helping me to live the principles of the gospel.  I have a testimony that you were each in my life at very distinct times for a reason and a purpose. I hope you have felt my love and gratitude for you.

I know that God lives and that He loves us more than we can possibly comprehend.  I know that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints contains the Truth of the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ, and that we can become like our Heavenly Father by obedience to its principles and laws.  I love this Gospel and the joy it brings me as I live it.  I love my Savior Jesus Christ.  I know He atoned for my sins and my weaknesses, and that through His Atonement, I am enabled and lifted to love and serve more deeply.

I cannot wait to share these truths with my fellow brothers and sisters in the beautiful and diverse Los Angeles, California.

Love ya'll muchisimo,

Abbs

(Soon-to-be "Hermana Wells")

P.S. General Conference could not be a more perfect missionary send-off!  I hope you all got a chance to enjoy it. If not, check out lds.org for a repeat.












No comments: