Friends! Family! How I love you! Thank you to those of you have written me! There was once a point when I wasn''t sure if I wanted a lot of letters b/c I worried about staying focused. I have since changed my mindset COMPLETELY. Letters have been a great source of strength for me here, and I now feel guilty for not making more of an effort with all of my friends and family members who have served before me. Blanket apology. :/
SO...I''m still pretty in love w/ this place. There have been very few downs and moments of stress, but also a lot of glorious rebounds and spiritual highs. The Lord is walking me along. It''s pretty amazing, actually. We started teaching, which has been a HOLY COW sort of process--and the main source of the greatest joys and stresses I have experienced here. Being in advanced spanish district means we get a lot less of the training wheels in everything--not just the language. In the beginning of this week, we had to figure out a lot on our own and there seemed to be very little time and a very big expectations, which was frustrating for all of us--but an incredible process. And we are IMPROVING. That''s what we''re trying to focus on. So so so incredibly far from perfect...but improved from 9 days ago. I''m praying the improvements will double themselves as some of my elders only have another 10 days or so before we hit the field. Ain''t that CRAZY????
So, if you missed it in the last e-mail, I am what they call a SOLO SISTER here or '""HERMANA SOLA""...which means that I am the only hermana in a district of native spanish-speaking elders. It's an interesting and unique spot to be in for a variety of reasons. In sum:
UPS to being an HERMANA SOLA:
1. Lots o'' wonderful companions
Hermana Dopp and Hermana Eberle from another district: So incredible wonderful! Hermana Dopp is the cousin of my friend, Cade Dopp, and reminds me a great deal of my dear friend, Hermana Madison Moffat. She''s also a lot like my friend, Alisse Frandsen, who I have run into several times on campus--each time being a joyful experience. All of these things, in and of themselves, have been tender mercies. Hermana Dopp is an amazing friend and incredible missionary. And Hermana Eberle! They are the perfect balance for me. Hermana Eberle is from the east coast and all of the good that that entails. She knows who she is, she knows the gospel and the scriptures, and shes STRONG. And I mean that in all of the best connatations and absolutely NONE of the negative. She''s wonderful.] [Elder Lopez and Daboin are my teaching companions from my actual district. Born in Mexico (Aguas Calientes! So close to Irapuato!) and Venezuela, respectively, but both moved to Utah 10+ years ago, so they speak both alnguages incredibly well. This has been a blessing in all ways. They help me chill out and be myself. It''s a great companionship. :)
DOWNS to being an HERMANA SOLA
1. Lots o'' feelin'' like a 2-year-old and a cranky old woman
""Elder, you stand in the hallway so you can see me studying in the room and Elder Daboin''s foot as it sticks out around the corner where the drinking fountain is""
""Elders, I have to go to the bathroom...."" [groans...]
""Elderes! Study time! Vamos!""
""Elderes, stop drawing on the white board! We''re teaching in like 10 minutes!"" (said as lovingly as possible...)
...Okay, time is up. Ay. Someday I''ll get better at this. I love you all dearly. Know that I am happy and loving every minute of this--yes, even the stressful minutes. I''m learning and improving so much in all aspects, and I am loving the individuals who surround me. Heavenly Father loves us. He is aware of us. And He places us where we need to be when we need to be there. I love Him, I love His Gospel and I love you!
Keep writing me! It brings me the greatest of joys!
Love,
Hermana Wells
P.S. Relief Society on Sunday: Sister Burton! Aka the new RS gen president. NBD. She was wonderful--so humble and yet so powerful. I really love her as a person and as a leader. Next time, I''ll try to write more about specific lessons and things I am learning.

No comments:
Post a Comment