First
of all, I need to give ya'll a NORM-GINOUS THANK YOU for making my birthday so
SO great. I am horrifically spoiled. Your little notes and cards and gifts and
such have made it specialer than I ever could've hoped. So again, THANK
YOU.
Second
of all, Sister **** and I will be together for a second transfer! ...Which will
be one of the longest relationships I have ever managed to maintain...so I
think congratulations are in order. :) But really, it's going to be
WONDERFUL! Sister **** and I have really hit our stride, and we're both pretty
devoted to this place. She's just so amazing. She made my birthday so special
(like, too special, you know? She's been cooking amazing food for me all week,
and she made me 2 planner covers. I literally almost cried when she gave me the
1st. I love her so much. I have to visit her in Cambodia in Dec 2014, so...if
you wanna join...let me know.)
Third
of all, this work is healing and wonderful. I gave a talk in church a while
back about the power of turning outward together...and how as we do so, we
invite Christ into our relationships and into our lives in a way that strengthens,
lifts, and heals us as families, congregations, and individuals. ...At
least, that's what I meant to say. Who knows what actually came out...I also
completely misquoted Jay Z...so...
...the reason I share
pt 3 with you...I'm attaching our member missionary idea form. As well as a
link to an awesome website/talk that will help you in your personal
discipleship efforts. You may have already gotten one in your ward where you're
at.
Fourth of all, I just
love you all so much. Can't say it or express it enough or with enough
gratitude for what you've given me.
Fifth
of all, our new president is phenomenal. Here's the letter I sent him. Black
out names for the blog/anything having to do with the policy stuff maybe? Your
call.
Love
ya'll mucho,
Sister
Wells
Hello President,
Happy Transfers! Sister **** and I look forward to another transfer together!
It's been another marvelous week in Mar Vista!
We already spoke with you about our investigator, ****, who you'll be meeting with on Friday. We're in the process of making sure he is prepared for that interview. He will likely be nervous to do it without Sister *******'s translation, but I think you are right in inviting him to meet with you by himself. I trust your ability to express love and discern his sincerity. We'll be anxious to hear the results, and we are excited to assist you in your policy decisions regarding our beloved Persian people. We'll hope to have a report ready for you in the next few weeks.
We met with **** on Saturday, and he still hasn't come to church...nor has he told his girlfriend about us, which we feel is his real concern. He knows he will love church, and I truly feel that once he begins attending, his baptism will not be too far in the distance. He has "warm feelings" about the Book of Mormon as he reads it (he's already in Alma, and knows the characters and storyline better than I do at this point), and feels that he has gotten the impression to "keep reading and pondering." The bishop will be stopping by *****'s home one of these days to discuss his recent trip to Havasupai and to get advice for the scouts' Havasupai trip next week. We pray that it will be the right kind of opportunity for him.
We re-discovered a former investigator (a suggestion from a missionary who served in our area a few years ago--we met him at one of Sister *******'s parties), *****, yesterday. We'll meet with her again on Thursday. In reviewing her Teaching Record, it seems that one of her main issues in her last visits with missionaries was drinking/partying with her friends. She mentioned to us that she doesn't do much of that anymore...so we're hoping she's a little more ready for change. We may need to transition her to the YSA missionaries this weekend. We'll keep you updated.
****** is another new-ish investigator. We met with him on Wednesday with a member, ****, and her boyfriend, *****, and it was yet another testament to member work. ***** is a retired baseball coach/athletic director at a private school. **** happened to be an avid baseball fan/former college player. They all hit it off spendidly. ***** has had amazing friends who are members and has fond memories of playing sports with the Mormons in his youth. With his recent retirement, he may be at just the right crossroads in his life for the entrance of the Gospel. However, he is still feeling intimidated by the idea of having regular set appointments with us. ****** suggested that we simply come by every so often to visit and to read the Book of Mormon with him. He agreed. We'll return again this week with the hope that he'll come around soon. He committed to pray.
Member work is going well. We've been measuring the reaction to our major missionary-themed 5th Sunday sacrament meeting/combined lesson, and it seems that people are slowly-but-surely "catching the wave." The family mission plans are making their way into people's minds, and we are trying to stay on top of following up with all of their commitments--which range from inviting us over for a bbq with their friends, hosting a neighborhood dessert night, delivering a note with cookies and a testimony, or simply starting to study PMG at least once a week as a family. I think things are picking up!
I love this work, President. I'm trying to figure out how to do more and how to do it better. The Visitors' Center schedule, as I'm sure you're aware, presents interesting challenges with time management, etc., and I often catch myself getting impatient with my weaknesses and limitations. But as always, I am seeing how the Lord consecrates the time. He has blessed me so much.
Thank you for all you do. It has been wonderful to get to know you and Sister Weidman better. Know that you are in our prayers of gratitude and blessings. We love you!
Sister Wells

No comments:
Post a Comment