Monday, September 23, 2013

WOW Miracles. WOW=Word of Wisdom. Miracles=Acts of God that we mostly don't deserve but he continues to blow our minds with anyway.

So maybe you've heard better. Alcoholics and such. But the faith of these people--to change a really core part of their daily routines and lives b/c two little kids with name tags told them God would bless them for doing so--BLOWS MY MIND. The Spirit is so SO beyond me, people. 

Sorry it's a short e-mail. We were late coming from a lunch with **** in Venice. At a restaurant called "Lemonade"...which is apparently famous here in LA.  Delicious food and famous people. We didn't see anyone famous, unfortunately, but I did become slightly more obsessed with our kick-awesome investigator.  So...I might move back to Venice after my mission so I can be just a little more like her.  That's all. 

Love ya'll muchisimo. You're in my prayers and hopes.  

Love,

Hermana Wells 

P.S. *********** GOT BAPTIZED!!! Ugh. I hate when I do this. I forget to tell you the things that actually pertain to others' salvation and I start rambling about Lemonade & famous people. Why do you people even read my e-mails??? So, ********** got baptized yesterday!!!  And I got to go back to Lynwood!!! It was amazing beyond words. I adore those people so much. And the best part is that they remember me! And they like me still!  Actually, the best part is that they are coming closer to Christ.  Gary, the less-active we worked with there, is getting ready for a mission next year. 

...JOY.

 And again, pics to come. 



Hello President,

It's been a full, inspired week! 

First of all, our temple day was most certainly blessed! Thank you for the change in schedule. It brought a needed spirit and energy to our work. I left the temple with a few specific revelations for some of our investigators, as well as for my own growth personally. Some of these included: a tearful moment when I could envision one of our investigators, ****, in the endowment room with her future husband. It was amazing to be able to share this "vision" with **** in our lesson later than evening as I know that she, herself, has envisioned an eternal marriage with her boyfriend, *****. 

I also decided that my focus must be outward/toward the Savior. Sister R****** helped me to put this goal into words during our exchanges later that week (like I said, it's been a full week!) when she shared with me your ship analogy. As we keep our end goal our focus and worry less about the straight line to get there, we find the Savior's peace and Grace. I've seen this principle play out in my life time and time again as I find myself placing my own expectations and the expectations of others in front of the expectations God has of me and my work here. There is no better recipe for stress and anxiety. And so, once again, I am prayerfully adjusting my mindset and my efforts and I am already experiencing deeper peace. I am honestly doing the best that my weak flesh knows how, and I as I seek and accept His Grace, I am seeing miracles that move beyond my own spiritual capacity. Faith really does bring miracles, president. And the best of all of those miracles is the JOY I am experiencing and that I am starting to see my companion experience. Our relationship has deepened this week.


Now on to the good stuff. 

Miracle:

First of all, *** came to church again! And, he randomly brought up the Word of Wisdom in our last lesson (which was originally going to be a review of the Restoration and keeping the Sabbath Day holy) and decided to live it all on his own. I know. Who does he think he is? Obviously we're thrilled. 

Second of all, we taught **** about the Word of Wisdom this last week, and in accordance with her hyper-spiritual self, she was in tears. It was a powerful lesson, and we created a plan for her to stop drinking. The first step was a group fast, which took place Saturday evening to Sunday evening. And this is where the miracle began. She found us at church on Sunday and hugged us SO tight. She explained that on Sat night, she went to a friend's house where she would normally be drinking. They almost ALWAYS offer her a glass of wine or some kind of alcoholic beverage. She went prepared to explain her fast and her decision to quit. But, contrary to their norm, her friends weren't even drinking that night. She said she almost cried because she recognized it as a direct gift from Heavenly Father for her fast! And then, later that night, she said she was reading the Book of Mormon and just had the most powerful experiences...long story short, we're going to be setting a baptismal date with her soon!! SHE is a miracle! 

Sister R***** was another miracle this week. She is wonderful! I felt how she was seeking to build me and compliment me, and it deepened my confidence and my desire to be better. We set goals for me to compliment my companion more frequently (as she rightly deserves), to plan more efficiently every night, and to talk less in general. 

Thanks for all you do, president. Have a wonderful week! You're in our prayers. 

Love,

Sister Wells

No comments: