The subject line has
nothing to do with the content of this e-mail, but I hope it inspires you.
I took forever writing
to President today, so there's not much more to report on. He probably gets so
sick of my novels, but I feel so much better when I write to him first...and
whoever I write to first generally gets the novel. Entonces. Whatchya gonna do?
Just to explain the
references: We had zone conference this week with Elder and Sister *******. It
was inspired, and super cool.
Love you all SO
MUCH! You're in my prayers.
Love,
Sister Wells
P.s. Pics:
Sister ***'s going back to Cambodia!! I am heartbroken, and wish I had
more time to write an ode to her. She has taught me so much. Also, Sis
***** and I with this super cute Peruvian girl that came in on Sunday.
She's working for an NGO...it's just cool. No time to explain.
Insanity workout classes in the morn with Sis B***** leadin us. My favorite!
Us and *** and Pres ***** at the VC. ****! the one in Lynwood who's going on a
mission next year! Active **** is so much cooler than Less active **** :)
P.S. For mom: Thanks
for teaching me how to be a strong woman in the Gospel. Read more about that
below. Something Sis R****** said in our conversation (referenced below) is
that the new temple video validates/emphasizes what strong LDS women already
understood. I love you so much. There aren't all that many hard things right
now. But I'll try to be more open about them when there are. I feel
blessed that Heavenly Father helps me to remember the joyful things much more
than the hard things. Right now, I'm just desperately wanting to rid
myself of pride. I'm not a very good trainer I'm realizing. I'm nice. I'm a
good example and I'm positive, etc...There are a lot of things that make me a
good trainer. But I don't think I empower my companions to be their best
selves. b/c I think, as horrible as this sounds, I subconsciously always want
to be "better" than them...it's weird. I don't like it. It makes me
sad. But, I'm working on it :) So I'm also hopeful in this process of
repentance and grateful that I'm figuring out more of my weaknesses. Read 1
Nephi 8--right before Lehi has the vision. As you get closer to Light,
you see more of your weaknesses, and sometimes life gets more painful in that
way. But Ether 12:27 makes
it all better :) ...Oh, and I have mineral veil. I found some I had forgotten
about! If you wanna buy me some more powder, just wait until I can find out
what shade I need...
Hello President,
Happy Transfers!
Sister ****** and I are thrilled to be here together for another 6
weeks.
We are slightly behind
on 12-week because our DVD player has been malfunctioning and our language
study has faltered. (...we'll get better. I promise.) However, we have gotten
better and teaching together more fluidly, and I have loved watching her desire
to be here grow. She's amazing!
Zone Conference
Highlights & Revelations:
First of all, I WILL
NOT PLATEAU. Mar Vista is seeing some success and some positive changes, but I
can now see so much more in its future. We just had another combined fifth
Sunday lesson that focused on Hastening the Work of Salvation. The guest speaker
was phenomenal, and the spirit was strong. Follow-up with members has to
happen. We're trying to figure out how to go about splits w/ members so
we can make that another focus while still taking care of our
investigators.
Faith in Planning:
Faith is a hope for things with are not seen which are True. I need to
have more faith and be more prayerful in creating a VISION of my area--not just
for this transfer but for a few years down the road. I love what
President B**** said about envisioning 7 stakes within the stake he currently
serves in. I want that kind of vision and energy to fuel our ward
council.
I also had an opportunity
to chat with Sister R****** one-on-one while Sister ****** was in her interview
with Elder R*****. She is a powerful teacher, and her moments of candid counsel
to me and my generation were priceless. We talked about how a strong
Latter-day Saint woman understands the priesthood and her role in supporting
it, and how her covenants strengthen her and empower her in those roles.
It was wonderful to witness up close the strength it takes to
consistently support and sustain a righteous priesthood holder. It made me so
grateful for my mother and her example to me as well.
The final invitations
of zone conference--regarding teaching simply and emphasizing the 4 essential
truths--were refreshing.
We began applying that
training just an hour afterward in our lesson with *** at the Visitor's Center.
We decided to focus on the 1st vision in an attempt to evaluate his understanding
and testimony of it. President Heath (of the Santa Monica stake) was
present, and was wonderful. President ***** was great at answering ***'s
questions and explaining things in a way that only a lawyer and a mechanical
engineer would understand. (i.e. How faith is really an exercise of logic.
If the missionaries promise that reading, praying, and coming to church
will help you to feel more of the spirit and a closer relationship with
God...and all of those things happen just as they promised...then their next
promises about baptism, etc. will also be true.) ...The lesson went long and
could've been simpler, but overall, it went well. (Companionship goal:
Shorter, simpler, more frequent lessons!)
Another Word of Wisdom
miracle:
Last week's lesson
with ****** was a bit nuts. (As lessons with ***** can sometimes be...***** is
86 and tends to go on tangental rants). We were trying to teach him the
Word of Wisdom and it just wasn't sinking in. He didn't seem to remember
anything that we had taught him. So, a few days ago, we went into a
lesson with him prepared to drop him unless things went better. As we
began the lesson, I immediately became emotional. I have really come to love *****,
and I knew that dropping him would just be one more sad event in his already
sad life. I went into the bathroom and prayed for a miracle, but entered
the lesson again prepared to drop him if that's what the Lord needed to happen.
As we began to review the restoration and priesthood authority, ****
began asking a handful of really coherent questions about priesthood duties,
etc. And then as we tied that follow-up into a conversation about the
Word of Wisdom, a miracle happened! ***** not only seemed to understand
why we live the Word of Wisdom, but he agreed to live it, and he handed us a
giant box of black and green tea (of which he drinks 10 cups a day). ***** is
now preparing for baptism on October 20th!
****, our other
investigator, also expressed her desire to be baptized, and said that she would
like to fast and pray about the date this next fast Sunday. She is thinking
January because she wants her very Christian family (who lives in Virginia) to
be a part of this change, and maybe even to be present for her baptism. What
are you thoughts on that, President? Pushing back baptismal dates to wait
for family, etc?
Another question I
have had more of late is in regard to boundaries. I gained a testimony of
ward/area boundaries toward the beginning of my mission, but I've become rather
confused of late. With the mix of the Farsi language issues/Sis. ******* as
well as the fact that there are missionaries who teach investigators
online/over the phone/through Skype...are these policies becoming more fluid?
I write you long
e-mails. I hope it's not a bother. Let me know if you'd like me to be more
concise. Thanks for all you do!
Love,

No comments:
Post a Comment