Monday, April 8, 2013

Why do you have an Asian in your protest? / This isn't missionary work! This is missionary FUN!



General conference! AH! GENERAL CONFERENCE!!

'nuff said.

It's like Christmas for missionaries. We were skipping around in excitement all week--inviting everyone and their dog (almost literally) to listen the voice of THE PROPHET OF THE WORLD.  Because it would OBVIOUSLY CHANGE THEIR LIFE.

Just a few life-changing highlights for Sista Wells (with the obvious understanding that the conference as a whole was EXACTLY what I and my investigators needed):

1)Sis Elaine S. Dalton...probably my favorite talk from her. It's through our covenants that we find meaning in our identity and our purpose. My part matters because I matter.

2) Elder Craig A. Cardon...the Savior wants to forgive. Even those most obnoxious, recurring human weaknesses and sins. He never demands immediate perfection, only sincere desire and effort.

3)Elder M. Russell Ballard...AND NOT A TOMATO WAS LOST. My almost-and-maybe-sometimes-kind-of-unhealthy obsession with self-improvement has so often been based in a fear of losing future opportunities to serve, learn, grow, and become.  But there we have it. Because of the light and living water of the Savior Jesus Christ and His Atonemnet, not one tomato need be lost.  Which is good. 'Cause I want MILLIONS, you know?

4) Elder David A. Bednar...the human body allows us to have the amplified and necessary experiences of mortality (beuatiful beautiful beatuiful! My soul  relishes in the beauty of this doctrine). Law of Chastity. No one coulda said it better.

5) Elder Neil L. Anderson...I hope you were ALL listening. :) So inspiring. This is Missionary Fun!

6) Rosemary M. Wixom...pray to know the needs of your children/investigators and speak to those needs.  As the Savior did and does with me.

7) Elder Jeffrey R. Holland...same topic as my farewell talk. Just an FYI: This is what I meant to say. ;)   But really, it was SO GOOD.  Never let what you don't know get in the way of what you do know. MMMMmmm..powerhouse.  I felt chastised in that hopeful way that only Elder Holland can manage.

...and just SO MUCH MORE. I'm literally skimming my notes and getting twitterpated all over again. (remember that MTC/Falling in Love analogy I threw out a while back? The truth of that is being made manifest once again)

And now on to other happy and odd things that happened this week:

MY SISTER HAD A BABY!!! Oh my gosh. I'm still all bubbly about this, Chelsea, and it's been a good hour since I read your e-mail. I'm so SO happy to be an aunt again.

This lady in the street was shocked to find out that Sister P******* and I were not native Spanish-speakers. Like genuinely shocked ('cause I can tell the over-polite fakers, you know?).  Hopefully she'll get baptized. I like her a whole lot.

So, as we were leaving our post-district-meeting, zone lunch, Elder W***** (who is Chinese and SO cool) and Sister P were putting some things in the trunk of our car when this homeless man walks up and goes:
 "Why do you have an Asian in your protest???"  
Sis P: "Um...protest...what?"
Man:  "You have an Asian in your protest!"
Sis. P:  "Well, we're not protesting anything. We're here to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ, which has been restor---"
Man:  "You should go home to your family!"
Elder W:  "What?..."

Then he walked away. It might have been one of those had-to-be-there moments, but it totally threw us all off. I love California.

Less happy:

We found out that one of our investigators has cancer. The same one who is in the middle of a divorce, just moved into a new apartment, has no money, and can't get work off on Sundays. And the same one who (as soon as she can get work off) is like A-okay lista for Bautismo. Baptismal Date status.

We had to erase ******'s name off our giant whiteboard and I almost cried. Ugh.

...Good things it's our zone goal to find 500 new investigators before May! Yay for goals!  

Love you all so much! I'll try to send pics someday.

-Hermana Wells

No comments: