Monday, August 5, 2013

My Friend, ******



Guess what??? We set a baptismal date! All you lamanite missionaries are rolling your eyes, but this is a big deal for us Mar Vista kids, so rejoice w/ me. 

****** is 86 years old. ****** wears sweet threads. ****** is a sass-a-frass. ****** sincerely loves the Holy Ghost.  And he loves us too, which is fun. AND...he's getting baptized! On August 25th. If all goes according to plan that is...FAITH.

I'm gonna try to attach a pic, but I'm already over time b/c of this horridly long survey that the missionary department made us fill out. (Not that I'm complaining). But I had planned to write a good handful of super sweet, heartfelt e-mails today too. As well as send a ton of pics. Boo. Maybe next week...

Thanks for the love.

Love ya'll muchisimo. Keep spreadin' that faith of yours! You are in my prayers!

-Sista Wells

p.s. There's other pics there too...maybe you can connect them to previous stories, but if not...I'll try to next week!



Hello President,

I just finished the (rather long) survey. It was mildly depressing, but helpful.

It's been a great week in Mar Vista!

First of all, we set a baptismal date! With
****** ! He's 86 years old, and WONDERFUL. He's bold and funny, but very sincere in his desire to come closer to God. He is so appreciative of the spirit he feels when he's with us. He's preparing to be baptized on the 25th of August. He came into the VC last night with Sister Larson, and he loved it.

We've begun teaching **** in the homes of other members (besides Sis ******) to get him a little more integrated into the ward. We had our first yesterday, and it went really well! We reviewed the Plan of Salvation with him again and he was able to get some of his questions answered.

We taught ********* and her family about the Plan of Salvation by teaching them "I am a Child of God." The kids loved it! 

We taught a referral named ******** on Wednesday. He is sincerely interested, but he may decide to attend the YSA ward. 

...None of these people came to church on Sunday. Despite having committed to do so, and despite our efforts to have members and rides and follow-up calls prepared for each of them. It would've been a rather depressing sacrament except...

Our ward mission leader blessed his baby on Sunday and a LOT of his non-member friends came to support. It was a powerful testimony meeting, and a lot of great seeds were planted. As a missionary, it's not often you get to bear your testimony to a chapel full of Jewish people. So. I was happy. :)

I wish I had time to share all of the little tender mercies and miracles with you, president. Just know that they abound!

In terms of my VC ideas...there aren't all that many. My ideas have more to do with leadership structure, and there are a million variations. I was thinking about having there be 2 companionships of Sister Leadership Trainers in the Visitors' Center, and having them divide all of the VC/Full-field training responsibilities amongst the four of them. This would mean doing a full 24-hour exchange with each VC companionship, less logistical responsibilities for the VC Trainers, and companionship support in their leadership positions. Again, there are a million variations of this that would still be beneficial in different ways. 

In terms of the VC schedule, I understand that we don't have much control over that on a mission-level. I've heard of other visitors centers having 3-4-hour shifts instead of 6-hour shifts, or only working 3-4 days a week for 6-hour shifts. I don't know if it would be possible to try something like that here, but it would definitely be more nice to have a more balanced schedule. Right now, we spend about 42 hours in the VC and 10-15 hours in our area (outside of the few hours we spend in studies and training meetings). These are all rough estimates. 

Thanks for being open to ideas, president. I can't tell you how empowering it is to be able to express these ideas to an open mind, even if they are never even slightly implemented. You are appreciated :)

Have a wonderful week! Thanks for all you do!

Sister Wells






No comments: