Sunday, February 17, 2013

Welcome to Lynwood. And by "Welcome," I actually mean "Bienvenidos" b/c white people don't exist here. Except me :)

...which I spelled wrong in my last e-mail. How embarassing. 

But in case you missed it, LYNWOOD is my new home. And I'm in love with it. Surprise surprise. :)

I had planned to do a super funny compare/contrast e-mail with all of my photos of Malibu and Lynwood thus far. But there just isn't time to be funny. So you'll hafta look through all the photos and figure it out for yourself.

For now, I'm just going to have to list all of the things I love about this place:

1) The PEOPLE. Who just love you the second they meet your. They are so deeply wonderful and loving. There's a pic somewhere in there of me and *****, who's a recent convert of about 8 months, and who has taken it upon herself to be the "mom" of all of the missionaries in the branch. (and more pics of me and her 5-yr-old daughter, *****, and 13-yr-old daughter,******, who is already studying PMG so she can be ready to go on a mission in 6 years. She's on fire)

 p.s. I'm serving in a brand new Spanish branch. I think there's enough people who attend for it to be a ward, but a significant lack of priesthood leadership. So, it's fun to see how these things work. No home teaching and visiting teaching yet, which may be part of the reason they have 2 companionships working here. It's a lot of work and I'm still wrapping my head around all of it, but it's happily fulfilling. Again, I love these people. And they love God. Another side note: my time in Mexico was literally the best preparation for what I am doing now. In so many ways and for so many reasons. 

p.p.s. Only issue here (or so I've heard...and sort of seen over the past few days): Commitments. Getting people to talk to  you and love you and say yes to all you ask them to do is one thing. Getting people to DO the stuff that will allow them to be CONVERTED is another. So...we'll see how t hat plays out. Trying to it figure out. It may really just be a generalization.

2) The ridiculous amount of "Chinese Donut Shops that also serve hamburgers" there are. Like, literally, every corner. Are you not intrigued??? I'm kind of obsessed with them, though I have yet to enter one. The second I do, you will be getting a fully documented report.

3) My COMPANION. I have  insufficient time to express how exotic and dynamic this woman is. There are pics on there. So, Sister D****** is from Ethiopia, was adopted by an American fam when she was 10. Converted to their Mormon faith when she was 11. Moved to Utah. And is now serving a spanish-speaking mission w/ me here in Lynwood, CA. NOT ONLY THAT...but she's also a black belt in karate, a Beautiful dancer.  (everything from latin to ballroom to hip hop to Ethiopian cultural dances). an avid Jane Austen fan, Chocolate addict, and INCREDIBLE MISSIONARY. She has an incredibly sincere and deep testimony that I love her for. Oh, and she's beautiful as you can see. Like, exotically. It's ALMOST obnoxious how cool she is. It's been a blast getting to know her. She surprises me everyday. 

Okay, I love where I'm at. And I love all of you! As always, that's the moral of the story. And that the Gospel is true :)

Love,

Hermana Wells


(Sorry to send these in a million e-mails. But I know you all appreciate pics, and I can't send them all at once.:/ )















No comments: