Monday, February 25, 2013

"How My Mission Turned Into a Low-Budget Horror Film"


Or at least, that's what everyone keeps telling me. We're getting 10 new spanish full-field sisters next week. We currently have 10 full-field spanish sisters serving in this mission. My companion is going home this transfer. The math is terrifyingly simple, no? Though you never know. The Lord is full of surprises.
As I begin to tell you how I feel about the possibility of training next transfer, let me explain the basics of the Mission/Life Analogy.  You are "born" to your trainer, who then becomes your "mother" and you her "baby" over the 12-week course of your training. You are "sister" to any of her other "babies". And when you end your mission, you "die" or are "killed" by whoever gets the honor of being your last companion in the mission field. 
Come next week, I will have had the golden opportunity of killing 2 of my companions, including my first mother. This makes me a serial killer.

I just barely/kind of finished my 12-week training last transfer (I got to about Week 6 of the program when the December crowds hit the Visitors' Center and there just wasn't time...), which makes me a toddler of sorts.

Picture in your mind a pregnant toddler and you will be experiencing the same emotion I now feel at the thought of training next transfer.
 
Now picture in your mind a pregnant, toddler-aged serial killer and you'll understand the subject line.
So, that's where I'm at. Terrified, but happy and willing to accept whatever the Lord needs me to become. And it may be that I don't train next transfer (which I would obviously be fine with), but I'm trying to prepare myself as best as I can regardless. I really do love this missionary stuff, you know :)
I've had some really good purpose-fulfilling moments this week. Really good, full days with a lot of testifying and boldness. You just FEEL good when you get from day like that, you know? Whether or not your numbers increased or your teaching pools expanded. You know that you INVITED people and you know that they felt the love of God during your conversation with them. And you know that you were exactly where you needed to be doing what the Holy Ghost was telling you to do. It's good stuff this missionary work.
We had a mini-missionary with us this weekend and let me tell you, Heavenly Father loves his mini missionaries. She brought us some nifty miracles of the people-being-home, appointments-following-through, and perfect-opportunity-for-a-baptismal-invitation variety. And her testimony was needed in very specific moments with some of the people we were teaching. It was so fun :)
Pet peeve (and a reference to last week's subject line, which I never actually talked about):  The word "comfortable". I had an experience last week that reminded me of an experience I had with Sis Jones in Malibu that awakened this little pet peeve of mine. We stopped by an inactive member's home  who had started to attend the Presbyterian church a few years ago. They told us all about the great youth programs and camps and bible studies and the optional ocean-side baptismal services...and how they really just felt like it was "a great fit" for them and their family. They were really COMFORTABLE there. So, what do you say to that? Obviously we loved this family and we wanted them to feel comfortable and happy with where they were at, so we told them that...and then just kind of nodded and smiled and said that we were there whenever they were interested.  Then we got in the car and felt ILL. Why? Because we didn't testify. So, we said a prayer, grabbed the Restoration DVD and went back to knock on their door. She opened the door and we explained what had happened. And then we testified. Sis Jones explained that while we were happy they were happy and comfortable and that they felt God in their lives...that God didn't really send us to this earth to be comfortable, but to become like His son...and that there was a deeper peace and happiness that he was waiting to give her through the Gospel that He has shown us. We invited her to watch the DVD and to pray. She agreed, and seemed to be touched by our boldness...We left and felt happy. Because we fulfilled our purpose. 
God loves us, and He wants us to experience His joy. And sometimes that means stepping out of our comfort zone. Aka accepting the thought of a pregnant toddler.

Fun thought: The difference between pushiness and boldness is Charity. Charity is also the difference between deep and shallow fishing in regards to finding people to teach. It is the opposite of fear and weakness and feelings of inadequacy. 2 Timothy 1:7. ...and the obvious root of all missionary work. Long story short, charity is a good thing.
Love you all so much! Keep the faith, eh?
Love,
Sis Wells

No comments: